What is OT cyber security? Also, how can you strengthen it?
Read on to learn more.
What is OT?
OT is short for Operational Technology. It manages the processes, devices, and events in the industry.
Moreover, it is common in industrial control systems. It can also be used for critical infrastructure.
Additionally, these infrastructures can be one of the following:
- oil and gas
What is OT Cyber Security?
OT cyber security refers to the practices that perform the following:
- protect the assets and information
- control devices and infrastructure
- direct changes for organizations
Furthermore, it offers security solutions to identify access and management. It also helps to contain security gaps.
Why is OT Cyber Security Important?
Today, more and more industrial systems have become connected. So, they are more exposed to vulnerabilities.
In addition, failure to protect these assets will result in high costs and damage.
So, in this article, we will list the top ten threats for OT cyber security.
OT Cyber Security Threats
- OT control logic updates – maintenance and administrative threat
- Industrial control file transfers – potential data leakage threat
- Malcrafted packet attacks – malicious use of a protocol to attack
- ICS Write operations – destructive attack to ICS resources
- ICS Read operations – disclosure attacks to ICS resources
- Other dangerous protocol activities – the full range of malformed and malicious protocol attacks
- Distributed Denial of Service – volume-based availability threats
- OT asset inventory changes – admin and day-to-day management risk
- Human Machine Interface attacks – attacks to system interface
- Enterprise protocol attacks – exploitation of systems and tools
But the good news is, it is possible to secure these.
So, how can you secure this?
OT Cyber Security
Here’s a four-step guide to stronger OT cyber security.
This stage sets an asset inventory. So, it can develop a network map for communications.
Moreover, a good assessment includes the following:
- detailed asset data
- backplane connections
- impact-based risk data
Thus, we can prioritize the vulnerabilities of the infrastructures.
After assessing the network flows and patterns, we can now apply security controls. These controls include the following:
- network segmentation
- network access control
Additionally, it identifies abnormal operating situations. So, you can set proper rules to correct them.
Finally, it manages remote access proxy, protocols, and connected assets to the Internet.
Monitoring security helps track accurate and timely threat information. Thus, industries can be used to proactively fight these threats.
But, teams should improve their threat detection capabilities and monitoring solutions.
So, they can quickly make an incident response to decrease damages.
After monitoring OT environments, you can ensure OT security. But, you have to make the most of this. How?
Applying a tracking system is one step. It can also avoid multiple alerts for cybersecurity events.
Moreover, it can help reduce the MTTR of every security incident.
OT systems continue to change the cybersecurity systems. So, assessing and monitoring these will help discover risks in every organization. Also, it will reduce future risk.
Rate this post: