This article will outline the most common computer security threats. As technology advances, so do cyberattacks. Because it advances both in ways and sophistication.
What is malware? Malware stands for ‘malicious software’.
The word itself suggests the destructive effect it brings to a computer or corporate network. For example, malware can range from the following:
- Hybrids and exotic forms
- Fileless malware
How to protect your network from malware?
For personal devices or computers: Installing antivirus software is one of the best defenses against malware.
For enterprises: It is best to primarily protect your endpoint. Because of this protection aids in early detection. Thus, it can early prevent and correct any potential malware threats.
What is a computer worm? One distinct quality of this worm is how it reflects the way worms infect our human body. Because worms are unicellular, they can duplicate by themselves. Thus, it works the same way in the digital world.
Computer worms can replicate themselves. Moreover, it does not need any human intervention. Thus, it can create copies of themselves. And disrupt networks fast, and in huge volumes.
How worms are spread?
How it can affect your system?
- Corrupt your files
- Can make way for cybercriminals to gain access to your computer
- Modify system settings
- Steal your private data
What is spam? Spam refers to uninvited emails received in your inbox. Also, this is an effective way to spread messages, advertisements, or promotions. Spam does not necessarily mean viruses.
However, many attackers make use of this means to spread malicious links. For example, those emails can contain malicious links that will direct malicious software downloads. Thus, any misclick of these links can disrupt your system in seconds.
How to protect yourself from spam?
- Do not open emails from unknown senders.
- Whenever emails address you in a general way. For example, ‘Dear customer’, or ‘Hello there’. These are suspicious ones, so do not engage.
- If there are links, do not hastily click. For instance, you can hover over the link and see where it directs you. If it is an unknown site, do not open.
What is phishing? This is probably one of the most common attacks. Because it opens the door to cyberattacks in many forms. Also, it can allow malicious actors to solicit your sensitive data.
Phishing may appear in different forms. For example, it can disguise as your bank provider. Or, it can also disguise as your common web service. Thus, it can disguise itself as a legitimate source.
- It can ask you to click on links
- Also, it may ask for your credentials. This may range from account passwords, personal information. Not to mention bank account details.
- Phishing is commonly employed on emails. But baits now come in different forms. Because it also comes with text messages and phone calls. Also, it can also disguise through social media quizzes and phony applications.
Rate this post: