Having the right data to make informed decisions is vital for every CIO. And that’s the importance of the CIO dashboard. But, what is a CIO dashboard? And how will you build one?
What Is A CIO Dashboard?
Well, it is an IT dashboard. And normally, it provides a view of details about the company’s information technology systems and programs.
This dashboard allows senior IT personnel to make decisions regarding IT infrastructure. It also enables them to support decisions regarding the investment and management of IT resources.
CIOs and It leaders operate at the forefront of business technology. It’s because their priority is to manage the information, technology, and computer systems. Which in turn important to support the organization and its goals.
Aside from that, IT leaders are responsible for articulating the value of that technology. So they must explain how it makes the company profitable. However, easy access to performance metrics is what they need.
Therefore, they need a CIO dashboard. It’s because this dashboard can also be used to visualize key operational metrics. Which are relevant to IT staff members and other company executives.
What Are The Benefits Of the CIO Dashboard?
Why would you want to build a CIO dashboard in the first place? It’s because it will give you the following benefits.
Allos You To Measure And Monitor Performance
You will completely see what’s going on in the department. By measuring the effectiveness of your support team, you can resolve any staffing, security, or project-related issues quickly.
Easy To Read And Understand
The dashboard puts your key metrics in one view. Thus, you will easily find the information you need. And it will also be easy for you to communicate it to other members of your department. Also, it will be easy for you to identify areas that need some improvements.
The CIO Dashboard Updates In Real-Time
You can save more time and resources. It’s because this dashboard updates automatically. Thus, you can proceed with the data right away. And start making improvements.
It’s Easy To Make Comparisons
Well, dashboards allow you to compare the current data points from the previous records. Besides, it also allows you to see hidden relationships and correlations. Which you may not notice if you’re using an Excel spreadsheet.
Create A Dashboard That Will Be Used By Your IT Team
Top KPIs For CIOs
The following are the top KPIs you may want to track with your dashboard:
- Operational Metrics
- Organizational Metrics
- Cost Management metrics
- Customer satisfaction metrics
- Security metrics, and
- The quality assurance metrics
The CIO Dashboard Best Practices
- You have to know your purpose. Knowing the purpose of the dashboard you are creating will help you easily separate the meaningful data points and focus on those.
- Understand your audience. You may ask yourself, “who is this dashboard for?” and “how will they be viewing the dashboard?” Knowing the answers to these questions is very important to give the best possible user experience.
- Ensure alignment with business goals and outcomes. The dashboard makes it easier for IT professionals to communicate the value of their work effectively.
- The storyboarding. Planning how you’d like your dashboard to look and what story you want it to tell in advance will minimize running into unexpected and frustrating roadblocks.